Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ireland Day 2

Day 2 we headed to a gorgeous old fisherman village by the sea called Howth (hoe-th).  First we headed to Howth Head to hike the trail that travels all around the cliffs above the sea to the lighthouse.

DSC_0169

DSC_0170

DSC_0179

 

DSC_0191

DSC_0207

DSC_0209

DSC_0216

DSC_0224

These patches of yellow flowers are called Gorse. Years ago these flowers were very important to the Irish. They were used to thatch roofs, fuel for cooking, and ground up for animal feed. I thought they were beautiful spread out all over fields, they have the smell of coconut.  If you go in late spring you will see them growing along side lavender…I’m sorry I missed the lavender.

DSC_0192

DSC_0193

DSC_0205

DSC_0211

So we got a little adventurous and I REALLY was dying to get down to the water…we found a small beach where we could hear the sea lions calling pretty loud. So we did very carefully and I might add painfully (my knees were killing me) got down to the bottom of the cliffs to the beach area. The photo below is looking up the cliff we crawled down on…I was not in shape to do this…I haven’t been hiking at all lately…so needless to say I was wondering how I was going back up!

DSC_0242

DSC_0249

We must have made quite a racket coming down the mountain because they were distant black bobs in the water when we got to the beach. This beach area made me think of Larabee beach in Washington State. I loved that beach!

DSC_0251

DSC_0255

DSC_0257

DSC_0263

DSC_0268

This photo you can see parts of the trail and a hiker at the edge :)

DSC_0275

This hike did not loop around so we hiked back the way we came and headed to the harbour for a hot lunch and some hot irish tea…it was COLD!

DSC_0282

Maud’s boasted they have the best homemade soup in Howth, so I tried the Spicy Lentil Soup and Irish Soda bread. It did not disappoint!!!

DSC_0281

Howth is especially known for their delicious Fish and Chips!!! I highly recommend it…I’m not a seafood person and I thought is was pretty incredible. After lunch we headed to the harbour to walk the piers and visit the village.

DSC_0286

This inscription is written on the front…this is a memorial to the fishermen who were lost at sea.

DSC_0284

DSC_0289

Fresh flowers hanging at the memorial.

DSC_0294

DSC_0296

stingray caught in a net on the pier.

DSC_0298

The houses behind these fishing vessels are all fresh fish markets and seafood resteraunts…fresh fish literally caught that morning…I was so jealous!

DSC_0302

DSC_0304

lighthouse

lighthouse2

lighthouse4

us2

1 comment:

HOPE said...

Love the harbour photos...

great photography!!!