Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Raw milk and Nourishing Traditions:)

I can't believe it's already wednesday, it's already a new school year, fall is here, well, at least that's what the weather is telling me these last few days. Today is PERFECT! Sunny and breezy. I have laundry drying outside, and now I need to be baking bread! I have a lovely friend sending me some sourdough starter for bread and I can't wait to get it. I.LOVE. sourdough bread! If you would like some started I will be happy to some along after my first batch:)

I am happy to say...I cut my grocery bill in half for the next two weeks! Yea! My slow year is getting on course! I invaded the farmer's market and bought produce for dirt cheap...like-15-cents-for-squash-kinda-cheap!!! I got more produce and fresh fruit than I ever have for cheap, and enough to even freezer jam some for the winter! Oh and fresh garlic too! ;) I am also cutting grocery costs by getting my flour, sea salt, honey, wheat germ, oats, rice, and beans in BULK! This is the way to go...IF you're going to be using it for all your breads, snacks, veggie and fruit pies! Which I am, so I won't be needing to buy these foods pre-made.

I found a raw milk source! Oh my, how excited I was...it is an hour away...BUT my neighbor and I are talking about carpooling and saving gas to get our milk. The raw milk is only 2 bucks a half gallon...please don't faint...I paid 4 bucks for only half a gallon at my food co-op in Washington! Plus they sell eggs and produce!

Why do I only drink Raw milk???? Here's some info for the curious! The commercially sold milk is Pasteurized and homogenized. Here is why I don't like Pasteurization or Homogenization!

Homogenization:

A process that reduces the size of fat globules in milk to about a quarter of their original size, homogenization prevents cream from separating and rising to the top of containers, and extends shelf life. It also allows the enzyme xanthine oxidase to pass intact into the bloodstream where it attacks tissue in the artery walls and heart muscle. This causes lesions that the body tries to heal with a protective layer of cholesterol. The result: scar tissue, calcified plaques and a buildup of cholesterol and other fatty deposits known as arteriosclerosis and atherosclerosis.

Pasteurization:

Regulations typically require the pasteurization or heating of raw milk to between 63 and 72 degrees Celsius to kill any disease-causing bacteria. The downside of this, as indicated in European studies. is that the amount of heat used in pasteurization is sufficient to denature milk, damaging its protein structure and significantly impairing the milk's absorption and nutritional value. It also destroys a host of naturally occurring digestive enzymes, including lactase, contributing to lactose intolerance. Commercial sterilization or ultra-high-temperature treatment, which greatly extends shelf life, raises pasteurization temperatures to 100 C, compounding the problem further.

Pasteurization destroys all the enzymes in milk...the enzymes help the body assimilate all bodybuilding factors, including calcium. Which is why some people may suffer form osteoporosis.

After pasteurization, chemicals may be added to suppress odor and restore taste. Synthetic vitamin D2 or D3 is added, the former is toxic and has been linked to heart disease. Pasteeurization devoid of its enzyme content can cause milk not fully digested to build up around the tiny villi of the small intestine, preventing the absorption of vital nutrients and promoting toxic substances. This causes allergies, chronic fatigue and many other degenerative diseases.

You can read further in a book a highly recommend, Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon. This book is not your typical cookbook. It will also educate you on why body should abstain from certain foods, as well as the important nutrients you should serve your body! Even if you never use her recipes, you are sure to benefit from reading and understanding what your body needs to be healthy and disease-free!


If you would like to switch to a raw milk source you can find a licensed raw milk distributor by going here. Type in the zipcode and it will bring up a list of farms who can legally sell you raw milk. Some health food stores also sell raw milk, so you could check there too. Farmers are usually cheaper though and offer glass bottles for refills for just a small deposit!






Some Notes taken from Enzyme University, The Truth About Milk.

No comments: