Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Eucalyptus Oil

I use several essential oils, but this is one of my favorites because it is so versatile! It's also one of the more inexpensive oils too. I used to pick up a bottle from GNC for 3.99! You're only using a few drops so it lasts a long time.

If you are allergic to the plant, you definitely don't want to try the oil.

Eucalyptus essential oil is obtained from fresh leaves of the tall evergreen eucalyptus tree.

Eucalyptus can be toxic if taken internally! I only take cough drops with eucalyptus!I haven't tried it internally. I've heard the gargle is great, but I would seek professional advice on the dosage.

Here are some remedies for using Eucalyptus:


Eucalyptus essential oil is effective for treating of respiratory problems including cold, cough(whooping cough), runny nose, sore throat, asthma, nasal congestion, bronchitis and sinusitis.

Eucalyptus oil is antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiviral, anti inflammatory and decongestant.

Eucalyptus oil is used for healing wounds, ulcers, burns, cuts, abrasions and sores, insect bites and stings.

What do I use Eucalyptus oil for:

I put a few drops on a cotton ball and rub into the pillow. This helps the sick person sleep and is a natural cough suppressant. It will open up your sinuses allowing them to breathe easier. It also kills the bacteria, which allows you to not have to wait for an antibiotic to kick in.

Sometimes I put a few drops on their shirt or a cloth to wear during the day to give them relief from a runny nose and persistent cough. I will also put several drops in the bath water with really warm water to help open sinuses or break up chest congestion. I do this also in a pot of hot water and breathe in vapors to open sinuses.

If you have a vaporizer, you can put a few drops in the water. Does wonders to clean the air too! Yes it smells like vick vapor rub, probably even stronger, but it WORKS! I have been using this remedy every winter since my children were toddlers and I never once had to take them to ER for a serious cold or cough. It kicks butt! :P




During muscle and joint pains, massaging eucalyptus oil on the skin surface helps in getting relief from the pain.

Eucalyptus oil is analgesic and anti inflammatory so it is often recommended to patients suffering from rheumatism, lumbago, sprained ligaments and tendons, stiff muscles, aches, fibrosis and even nerve pain.

Massage in circular motion on affected areas.


The following information, I found through research and have not tried myself. As with any natural remedy, always seek your physician's advice or natural doctor's advice. I am not a doctor so please use caution and seek professional advice if you are unsure how to use any natural remedies.

Mental Exhaustion: An important reason why people like using eucalyptus oil is that it provides a cooling and refreshing effect. Normally people suffering from any disorder are down. Eucalyptus oil, which is stimulating, removes exhaustion and mental sluggishness and rejuvenates the spirits of the sick. It is also effective in treating stress and mental disorders.

Dental Care: Eucalyptus essential oil is very effective against cavities, dental plaques, gingivitis and other dental infections due to its germicidal properties.

Skin Care: Eucalyptus oil is often applied topically to treat skin infections.

Diabetes: Eucalyptus oil when taken internally controls blood sugar.

Fever: It is also used for treating fever and reducing the body temperature. Therefore it is also called fever oil.

Intestinal Germs: Eucalyptus oil is a vermifuge and is used to remove germs in the intestine.



For a natural cleaner: mix 50 ml (1.6 oz) of eucalyptus oil with a liter (quart) of water. That's it - you can store it as you would a normal disinfectant.

- Eucalyptus oil can be used to remove sticker/decal residue from glass.

- Add 1-2 teaspoonfuls of eucalyptus oil to your load of washing for a fresh scent along with the anti-microbial benefits, also I do this in a load of sheets or blankets as it repels dust mites.

- Use the oil neat to help remove paint, grease and ink from clothes

- Half a teaspoon mixed with half a liter of water makes for a good bug repellant for plants. I also have rubbed this oil on backpacks and shirts hiking in the swamp as a bug repellant!

- Use it as a stainless steel cleaner.


Please feel free to leave comments on your experience good or bad in using eucalyptus oil. This will help my followers and readers as they try these natural remedies.

Make sure you are buying 100% eucalyptus oil as some may have a percentage of camphor extract included.

Hope this was helpful and you are staying healthy and well. I'm off this weekend to pick up some oil for myself, as I feel a cold virus lurking! Meanwhile I shall sip on ginger/garlic/honey tea:)

2 comments:

Shaunna said...

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely try the next time my little ones get coughing! :) shaunna

Toyin O. said...

Thanks for sharing.

Just wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and your gracious comment.